1 hr 20 mins
I got this from the New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant back in the late 80's when I was a vegetarian and always looking for a way to use up my rice. This one is easy and tasty. I have taken liberties with the recipe...Chill time is listed under preparation time :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups rice (I like brown but you can try white also)
- 1 cup carrot, small dice
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced (try green peppers too)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4-1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram (use one or two of these) or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (use one or two of these)
- chopped tomato (to garnish)
- green olives, to garnish
- dried currant (optional)
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 1Place the cooked rice in a large bowl. Steam the carrots, peppers, mushrooms and peas separately until tender but still firm (please don't overcook).
- 2Add the steamed vegetables, celery, and parsley to the rice. Whisk the olive oil, vegetable oil, lemon juice, garlic and herbs together. Pour the marinade over the vegetable rice mix and toss gently.
- 3Refrigerate until well chilled, stirring occasionally, so the marinade will flavor the rice.
- 4When ready to serve, garnish with tomato wedges and green olives along with any of the optional ingredients above.
- 5(Note: 1 have also topped with parmesan cheese but I have no idea how much I used - it was good!).
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moosewood French Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.8
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 8.6 g