Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this on Moosewood Restaurant's website.
Make and share this Moosewood Dressed-Up Salmon Cakes With Herbed Mayonnaise recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 1⁄2 lbs salmon, skinned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herb (tarragon, thyme, or marjoram, or a mixture)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cracker meal or 1 cup dry breadcrumbs or 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- olive oil (for frying)
- 6 fresh lemon wedges
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Chop potatoes, onions, and carrots.
- Place in a large covered saucepan with water to cover.
- Bring to a boil; then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Place the fish on top of the vegetables, return to a simmer, and cook for about 2 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Drain in a colander.
- In a large bowl, mash the drained vegetables and fish with a potato masher until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, fresh lemon juice, herbs, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of the cracker meal or breadcrumbs. Mix thoroughly.
- In a skillet or frying pan, heat about ¼ inch of oil until it sizzles. (Less oil is needed in a nonstick frying pan.)
- With the cracker meal or bread crumbs handy and working over a large plate, pat and shape the fish mixture into six cakes.
- As you finish each one, sprinkle both sides with cracker meal and carefully place it in the pan.
- Fry the cakes for about 4 minutes on the first side, until golden brown and crisped.
- Then flip the cakes and cook for 2 or 3 minutes on the other side.
- Drain on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
- Serve with lemon wedges, or combine all of the Herbed Mayonnaise ingredients to offer, if you wish.