Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Reprinted from Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, green or red, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained (or cook 1 cup dried beans)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped fresh (or 12 ounce undrained canned)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt, to taste
- sour cream, to top
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Warm the oil in a non-reactive soup pot.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots and cumin and cook on medium heat, sitting often for a few minutes.
- Add the celery and peppers, lower the heat, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes. A.
- dd the beans chipotle, tomatoes, orange juice, and water, and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- If you're not using canned beans, add 1/2 cup of beans cooking liquid or additional water.
- If you like a thicker broth, you can blend one or two cups of the soup until pureed, and stir it back into the remaining soup.
- Top with optional sour cream and cilantro.