Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
1 hour is the minimum cooking time.
Make and share this Moose Steak with Mushroom Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a large skillet and brown the steak on both sides, thoroughly.
- Add the broth, onion, garlic, and tomato paste diluted in the water or sherry.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the steak from the pan and keep hot.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan liquid; cover and simmer for 1 minute.
- Thicken with flour and water mixture.
- Dilute with the cream.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Taste for seasoning and pour over the steak.
- Sprinkle with the paprika.
We really enjoyed the onion mushroom gravy this makes. This was my first time cooking moose, and I didn't get it tender enough, but that was on me, not the recipe. Some changes I made included cooking it with some fresh oregeno and thyme since I had those fresh herbs in my kitchen at the time. Also, in step 9 I seasoned it with cayenne and sage. Next time I would use fresh stage during the cooking stage. Lastly, I served it with sour cream which we found to be a great refreshing addition to a very flavorful dish. The other thing I would do different is use half&half instead of the heavy cream I used to keep the gravy a bit thinner than I produced. Overall a very enjoyable dish!