Prep 48 hrs
Cook 2 mins
Times will vary.
- 4 lbs moose roast
- 3 slices salt pork or 3 slices thick sliced bacon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 cup milk
- Remove all fat from the moose roast and wipe well with a clean damp cloth.
- Lard the roast as follows: Cut salt pork or bacon into 1/4 inch strips and chill thoroughly.
- Pierce the moose roast with a sharp knife or skewer at 2-inch intervals and insert the chilled strips of salt pork or bacon.
- Place the roast in a glass, earthenware or porcelain bowl.
- Mix the salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, mustard and brown sugar with the water and vinegar and pour over the moose (3 cups of sweet pickle juice may be used in place of the brown sugar, water and vinegar if desired.) Marinate the roast for 24 to 48 hours, turning it over frequently if the liquid does not completely cover it.
- Remove the roast from the marinade and place it in a covered roaster in a 350 degree oven for approximately one hour.
- Add onion flakes and cranberry juice and continue roasting until tender.
- (about one hour).
- Transfer meat to a hot platter.
- Add flour to the pan drippings and stir until the flour has absorbed the fat.
- Add the milk, stirring constantly, until gravy is desired thickness.
- Serve hot with the roast.