Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
When Dad would go hunting this is one of my fav's. If your not a Kraut eater forget it! If you are enjoy this one. I usually get the neck roast of the elk,moose, or beef to do this with along with Dad's homemade Kraut.
- 3 -5 lbs moose roast or 3 -5 lbs elk roast
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- 1⁄2 onion, diced, chunks, how ever you want then
- 1 pint beef broth, if needed
- wash and dry meat.
- place in slow cooker or crock pot.
- add onion, pepper it taste.
- cover with Sauerkraut, (do not drained) juice and all.
- Allow room for Sauerkrat, to juice up. That is Sauerkraut will , juicy up as it cooks (let go of juices). Use broth if needed to keep covered with moisture.
- Cook on low heat all day, in the crock pot is best (or the oven).
- Serve with Celery Salt or Beau Monde.
- If you have a tough roast, the vinegar in Sauerkraut, is a natural tenderizer. So add the juice from kraut.
- If the roast smells game-y or the rest of the animal was tough or gamey, soak overnight in buttermilk or poke holes (about an inch deep, but this depends on your roast size) in roast to let in this solution- mix of 50/50 water and vinegar soak overnight, rinse and cook.
- This is pretty much my rule of thumb with game, the soaking thing, if it needs it do it. And if your oven roasting a roast the holes you poked to get the solution in the roast will then serve as garlic or fat wholes.