Recipe by Chef mariajane
This a recipe that I found in a regional magazine that we have here, Saltscapes - for anyone that likes "wild" meat this is a recipe for you!!
- 2 ounces salt fat pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb moose, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium rabbit, skinned and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut salt fat pork into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick, and render out fat in a large pot, turning slices often. Remove and discard the remaining salt fat pork.
- To the fat in the pot, add onion, moose and rabbit, and sauté until browned. Add enough water to barely cover, and simmer until meat is tender. Remove bones from rabbit; cut meat into 1/2 ich pieces and return to pot.
- MAKE ROUX:
- In a separate small pot, melt butter; add flour and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes, until bubbly. Add to pot with meat, stirring to make gravy.
- TO MAKE DOUGH:.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter and shortening. Add beathen egg, tossing lightly with a fork.
- Make a well in center; add enough milk to make a medium-textured biscuit dough. Roll out half the dough and line a 9-inch pie plate. Fill with meat mixture.
- Top with remaining dough, sealing edges well. Cut slits in top to vent. Bake at 350F until dough is nicely browned, about 25 minutes.