1/2 Photos of Moorish Zucchini Salad - Ensalada De Calabacines a La Morisco
3 hrs 50 mins
3 hrs 40 mins
The combination of toasted pine nuts and plump raisins has featured in Spanish recipes since the Moors ruled the Iberian Peninsula from AD 711 - 1492. This versatile chilled salad can be spooned onto bread slices as tapas, served as a first course on a bed of salad greens or as an accompanimenrt for roast chicken as part of a summer buffet. Make this at least 4 hours in advance so the flavors can blend. From the book "World Food SPAIN" by Beverly Leblanc. Cooking time includes chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and then let cook until golden to flavor the oil, then remove and discard.
- 2Add the zucchinis and cook, stirring until just tender. Immediately remove from the skillet and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- 3Add the pine nuts, raisins, mint, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste and stir together. Taste and add more oil, lemon juice and seasonings if necessary.
- 4Set aside and let cool completely. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
- 5Remove from refrigerator 10 minutes before serving.
- 6*Cooks note:.
- 7This salad is best made with young, tender zucchinis no more than 1 inch thick. If using older, larger zucchinis, cut them in half or quarter lenghtwise first, then slice thinly. For a more robust flavor, chop 4 drained anchovy fillets in oil and add in step 2.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moorish Zucchini Salad - Ensalada De Calabacines a La Morisco
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.0
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 4.3 g