Cook3 hrs 40 mins
The combination of toasted pine nuts and plump raisins has featured in Spanish recipes since the Moors ruled the Iberian Peninsula from AD 711 - 1492. This versatile chilled salad can be spooned onto bread slices as tapas, served as a first course on a bed of salad greens or as an accompanimenrt for roast chicken as part of a summer buffet. Make this at least 4 hours in advance so the flavors can blend. From the book "World Food SPAIN" by Beverly Leblanc. Cooking time includes chilling time.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and then let cook until golden to flavor the oil, then remove and discard.
- Add the zucchinis and cook, stirring until just tender. Immediately remove from the skillet and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Add the pine nuts, raisins, mint, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste and stir together. Taste and add more oil, lemon juice and seasonings if necessary.
- Set aside and let cool completely. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator 10 minutes before serving.
- *Cooks note:.
- This salad is best made with young, tender zucchinis no more than 1 inch thick. If using older, larger zucchinis, cut them in half or quarter lenghtwise first, then slice thinly. For a more robust flavor, chop 4 drained anchovy fillets in oil and add in step 2.