1 hr 15 mins
Clare 'E-Foodie' Jones's Note:
We love couscous and are always looking for new dishes to go with it. This is a lovely rich, yet light dish with gorgeous Moroccan flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 16 ounces chickpeas, washed and drained
- 8 dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 8 dried prunes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Heat Oven to 350 (not required if you want to make this on the stove top).
- 2In a dutch oven or heavy large deep skillet heat 1tbsp olive oil over a medium heat.
- 3Slice the chicken thighs into 3-4 pieces each.
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Lay the chicken piece into the oil and brown both sides - don't cok all the way through.
- 6Remove chicken and reserve on a plate.
- 7Add the rest of the olive oil and add the onions and cook until softened, keep stirring as you don't want them to burn.
- 8Add the cumin, paprika, cinnamon, chilli flakes and lemon zest and cornflour and cook for 1 minute, then add the the lemon juice, honey and chicken broth, apricots and prunes and chickpeas. Stir together.
- 9Add the chicken and any juices back to pot and stir through and cover.
- 10Either cook in oven for 1 hour or simmer gently on stove top.
- 11After 1 hour add the chopped coriander and serve over some cooked couscous or with rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moorish Moroccan Chicken Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.9
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 98.7 mg
- Sodium 819.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 26.4 g
- Protein 30.3 g