Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Wonderful cake recipe from Great Grandmother Alice Marshall, circa 1920. Best when served warm.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- Mix first 3 ingrediants together as for pastry.
- Reserve 1 cup and set aside in a cool place.
- Add remaining ingrediants to the main mixture.
- Beat well.
- Sprinkle 1/2 reserved crumb mixture on the bottom of a greased square pan ( 8x8 or 9x9 ).
- Pour wet mixture in smoothly.
- Sprinkle with remaining reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.