Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Mahanandi blog. Note: I add 5-6 sprigs cilantro, a clove of garlic and 2 tsp. ground flaxseed to her recipe.
- Add dal, chili, ginger, garlic, cilantro, salt, ground flaxseed and half the water into a blender.
- Blend until the consistency of a thick paste/ thick pancake batter, adding remaining water a little at time until you get the right consistency.
- Pour batter into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir the cumin seeds into the batter.
- Spray nonstick griddle or cast iron flat pan with oil spray or add 2 tsp of oil and spread with a piece of onion.
- Heat pan until it is hot (if you sprinkle water on the pan it should sizzle).
- Pour one ladle full of batter into the center of pan and spread it around in a circular fashion (from inside out) shaping the batter into a thin round (try a small one first).
- Wait few seconds and sprinkle 1/2 tsp of oil around the edges of the pesarattu.
- Wait for few minutes untill the bottom gets golden, then reverse it, cook the otherside now, for few seconds.
- Optional: reverse it back, sprinkle finely chopped onions on the top and fold it half.
- Remove from the pan and serve with coconut chutney, other chutney or ketchup.