Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Mahanandi blog. Note: I add 5-6 sprigs cilantro, a clove of garlic and 2 tsp. ground flaxseed to her recipe.
- Add dal, chili, ginger, garlic, cilantro, salt, ground flaxseed and half the water into a blender.
- Blend until the consistency of a thick paste/ thick pancake batter, adding remaining water a little at time until you get the right consistency.
- Pour batter into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir the cumin seeds into the batter.
- Spray nonstick griddle or cast iron flat pan with oil spray or add 2 tsp of oil and spread with a piece of onion.
- Heat pan until it is hot (if you sprinkle water on the pan it should sizzle).
- Pour one ladle full of batter into the center of pan and spread it around in a circular fashion (from inside out) shaping the batter into a thin round (try a small one first).
- Wait few seconds and sprinkle 1/2 tsp of oil around the edges of the pesarattu.
- Wait for few minutes untill the bottom gets golden, then reverse it, cook the otherside now, for few seconds.
- Optional: reverse it back, sprinkle finely chopped onions on the top and fold it half.
- Remove from the pan and serve with coconut chutney, other chutney or ketchup.
I'm on a low carb diet, but I still enjoy (dal)lentils, adding the flaxseed is great for making a pancake roti style. I enjoy it with some achar(pickle) and greek yogurt.
To mix it up, I'll take left over ready made dal and add the flaxseed to it. Other daals taste good too!
This is a great recipe for low carbers!