- 1 cup of dried yellow split peas (Moong Dal)
- 50 g tomatoes (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (Lasan, finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh gingerroot (Adrak, grated)
- 1 teaspoon of jalepeno chili pepper (diced)
- 1⁄2 dried red chili pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro (Hara Dhania, chopped) or 1⁄4 cup coriander leaves (Hara Dhania, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (Zeera)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric (Haldi)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (Heeng)
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse split peas; soak in 2 1/2 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat split peas and water, with salt, until boiling. Reduce heat to medium and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until tender and thickened. Add more water, if necessary, to prevent drying out. To the cooked split peas add ginger, jalapeno pepper, tomato, lemon juice and turmeric.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan and add cumin seed and red chile pepper. When pepper is heated add Asafoetida and garlic. Stir mixture into split peas and add cilantro; mix well.