Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
You'll never buy store bought buns again. These are excellent. Make an extra batch to freeze for future cookouts! First posted on King Arthur Flour site.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- Place all ingredients in your bread machine. Select dough. Allow to run cycle.
- Dump out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 pieces. With each piece, slap into a bun shape. Usually four or five slaps will do it. Place on greased cookie sheets or your bun pans, cover; rise about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes till golden. Cool on wire racks. I like to add a teaspoon of onion powder and about 1/2 teaspoon dried onion to the dough in the bread machine. It makes a light onion-y flavor that is wonderful!
- When I do these for burgers, I split the bun, butter, and fry in a skillet till brown. Yummy! They make great sandwich buns too! Nice and soft! You can’t go wrong with this recipe!
Without a doubt this is the best recipe for buns in the world.
excellent rolls, I like em heavy.
These have the density of a potato roll. I really liked them, but they are a little heavier. I thought they would be too sweet, but they are not. Excellent!