1/1 Photo of Mooladhara Soup
Ex-Pat Mama's Note:
This vegan recipe is a culinary metaphor for Mooladhara Chakra. The four root vegetables (potato, sweet potato, carrot, ginger) symbolize both the number of petals (4) and the literal translation of the name of the chakra - place of the root. The beautiful yellow color of the soup is a nod to the tattwa yantra - a yellow square. The paprika sprinkled on top of the soup represents the color of the petals: deep red. The delicate gingery aroma represents the tanmatra - smell, and the gyanendriya - nose.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- paprika, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large soup pan or pressure cooker, heat the olive oil and then add the onion. Cook over medium heat just until soft, 4-6 minutes.
- 2Add all the remaining vegetables, sprinkle the turmeric over all and stir until the veggies are evenly covered. Pour the vegetable broth over all.
- 3If using a pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 15 minutes and then allow the pressure to naturally release - generally another 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4If using a large soup pan, bring the mixture to a boil and then allow to gently simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are nearly falling apart.
- 5Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it has a thick and creamy texture.
- 6Season with salt and pepper, pour into bowls, decorate each serving with a sprinkle of paprika, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mooladhara Soup
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.4
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 80.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: