Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have to say, this is the BEST Oatmeal cookie that I have ever made! I found this recipe in a Sunset Magazine years ago. I cannot remember the name of the person who created this recipe, but they will forever have my love! I believe the story was that this person loved muffins and oatmeal cookies, but the muffins were too big and the cookies were too small. I LOVE these cookies...wait, did I say that already? ;-)
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups regular rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Mix butter and brown sugar until thoroughly blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine oats, flour, salt, and baking powder. Blend oat mixture with butter mixture.
- Stir in walnuts, coconut and raisins.*.
- Pack cookie dough into an ice cream scoop (4 oz size) or 1/2 cup measuring cup, scrape dough level with rim, and empty onto lightly oiled baking sheets, spacing dough about 3 inches apart.
- Bake in 350 oven until cookie edges are golden brown about 20 minutes. Cool cookies on a rack, serve or store airtight for up to 2 days.
- *TIPS: I have never added the walnuts, coconut or raisins to this recipe, so I do not know how they will turn out with them. BUT -- They are AWESOME without them!
- Also, I have made this using the 1/2 cup measuring cup, and by the teaspoon, I believe they taste waaay better when measuring the dough by 1/2 cup!
Perhaps Chef Lady Valdez didn't use rolled oats or changed the recipe in some way.....as it is a very tasty "mookie" that satisfies both hunger and sweet tooth. You can be creative with this recipe as long as you get the basics right.
I was disappointed. My husband had been asking me to make him oatmeal cookies w/ either walnuts or pecans, so I gave this a try & wasn't impressed. Definitely not nearly the best cookie I've had. Don't think I'd bother w/ this again. Sorry:(
This taste delight was introduced to me by a co-worker. All I can say is WOW!!! The best cookie ever.