Recipe by mortar&pestle
My mum's failsafe recipe for pikelets - I can eat these all day. (*Note: If you dont have buttermilk you can make a substitute with 1tsp vinegar/lemon juice into 1/2 cup of plain milk)
Top Review by **Jubes**
Reviewed for PAC April 2012- An easy recipe for an old fashioned favourite. My mixture was a little thick at first...so added in some extra buttermilk. Enjoyed especially by my youngest daughter. Photo also to be posted
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (or substitute *see note)
- 15 g butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour,salt & bicarbonate into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add sugar, egg, milk and melted butter.
- Stir mix until it is a smooth batter. Leave to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Grease frypan with extra butter & heat until hot.
- Spoon mixture into the frypan to make 6cm round pikelets.
- Cook until bubbles appear, then flip and cook on the other side until golden.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Serve warm with butter, jam, cream, honey or any favourites.