This is another Emeril's mom (Hilda) recipe. Great way to make a thick and hearty beef stew. An excellent all-in-one meal!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, cut into thin strips
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (35 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed with your hands, with their juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup ditalini
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- In a Dutch oven or heavy skillet heat the olive oil over high heat.
- Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper.
- Saute the beef, in batches if necessary so that the pan is not crowded, until well-browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and green peppers to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and caramelized around the edges, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, water, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Return the beef to the pan and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Add the ditalini to the gravy and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the parsley. Serve immediately.