Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Traditional Thai pork loin roast baked in a spicy red curry sauce. Serves 6-8. Many of these ingredients can only be found at a farmer's market. Support your local farmer's market. Be creative!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 red onions, Chopped into Slivers
- 2 garlic cloves, Pressed
- 5 thai green chili peppers, halved
- 2 limes, leaves Finely Chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass (Trim for middle 5 inches of each stalk)
- 14 ounces red curry paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup orange blossom honey
- 1 teaspoon thai chili sauce
- 3 lbs pork loin roast (2 Standard Roasts)
- 1 large apple (the sweeter the better, recommend Fuji)
- Saute the onion, garlic, chilis, lime leaves, and lemongrass in vegetable oil over medium-heat, stirring occasionally, until onions look clear (15 / Minutes).
- Pre-Heat Oven to 300 Degrees.
- Add curry paste, 2 cups water, soy sauce, thai chili sauce, and honey to pan. Stir entire mixture to an even thickness. Bring to a low boil. Stir in additional cup water to desired thickness. Again, bring to a low boil. Immediately reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 additional minutes. Your curry should have the consistency of a thick pasta sauce.
- While your curry is simmering, cut the pork loin roasts into 12-16 medallions (6-8 per roast). Set medallions aside.
- Once your curry is at the right thickness, pour it into into a 9x14x2 baking pan until it's half full. Add pork loin medallions to curry pan in two rows, being sure to get the curry sauce between each medallion. Then place thin slices of apple between each medallion. If you have left-over apple slices, stick them down into the curry along the edges of the pan. Add remaining curry to pan until pork is 90% covered.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil, and then place that pan on a baking sheet (also covered with aluminum foil). Place in oven. The baking sheet will catch any boil-over from the baking pan.
- Place both pans in oven and bake at 300 Degrees for 3 Hours.
- Serve over rice.
- Recommended Side: Steamed Sugarsnap Peas, Pear Salad.
- Recommended Wine: Malbec.