Broke Guy's Note:
Montreal-style poutine is made with vegetable gravy but you can also make your favorite beef or turkey gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium russet potatoes, sliced into sticks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese curds or 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1Set the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Pour 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil onto a baking sheet. Spread the oil around, then spread out the sticks of sliced potato. Pour the rest of the oil over the top and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Use your hands to ensure the potatoes are coated with oil, salt and pepper and evenly spread across the pan. Place them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, prepare the gravy. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic. Let them cook for 2 minutes until translucent, but not brown. Add the flour and quickly stir with a spoon. Add a little broth if gets too clumpy.
- 4Let the mixture cook until it turns light brown. Add the vegetable broth, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper. Bring the gravy to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste it, adding salt and pepper as needed. Turn down the heat to very low, just enough to keep the gravy warm until the fries come out of the oven.
- 5Dice the cheese.
- 6After the fries have baked for 20 minutes, remove them from the oven. Lift them with a spatula and test their tenderness with a fork. If it goes through easily, the fries are ready. If you want them a little more crispy, flip them over and put them back in the over for a few more minutes.
- 7Once they’re done, pile one layer of fries onto a plate. Top with cheese and then the hot gravy. Repeat with a second layer before sprinkling with scallions and more freshly ground black pepper.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Montreal Style Poutine
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.8
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 292.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: