Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
The signature sandwich from one of my favourite Canadian cities - the recipe from one of my favourite Canadian chefs, Cristine Cushing! If you don't want to go through the long process of cooking & smoking the brisket, just use the Montreal Spice Mix as a rub on a roast. Serve piled high slivers of smoked meat between 2 slices of rye bread with loads of mustard & a dill pickle on the side!
Montreal Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
Montreal Smoked Meat
- 3 lbs beef brisket, with fat on
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 slices double smoked bacon
- 2 cups wood chips, such as apple,cherry or maple,soaked in water for 5 minutes
- Montreal Spice Mix: Over medium heat, toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds mustard seeds, allspice berries, celery seeds in a small sauté pan or cast iron frying pan until fragrant, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Grind spices coarsely in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder; combine with the remaining ingredients.
- Montreal Smoked Meat: Rub ½ of the spice mixture all over the brisket; let brisket sit for 1 hour or overnight so flavour permeates the meat.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F; fit the rack of a roasting pan into a roasting pan, add wine to the roasting pan& put the brisket on the rack.
- Cover the brisket with the slices of bacon, cover with foil& slow cook for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove from oven& add remaining spice mixture; smoke brisket with the wood chips in a smoker over low flame according to manufacturers instructions, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- OR use your barbecue to smoke the meat- wrap the wood chips loosely with foil paper, poke holes in the foil, add wood chips to the barbecue on medium high heat; when the chips start to smoke, turn the grill to low heat& put the meat on the upper part of grill.