Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Monti's Restaurant in Tempe, Arizona. Here is the recipe you requested. This recipe has been in the Monti family for many years. In fact, Mr. Monti's parents brought it over from Italy with them, some eighty years ago. The Bread was brought to Monti's by Mrs. Shirley Monti, who learned the recipe from Leonard's sister Emilia.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (1 Package)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water (100 degrees)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- dried rosemary
- oil, as needed
- salt, as needed
- Add Sugar and yeast to lukewarm water and stir to dissolve yeast.
- Add flour, salt and onion.
- Knead until smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and let rise until double in size.
- Punch it down, flatten out dough on an oiled cookie sheet to about an inch thick.
- Sprinkle with salt and dried Rosemary.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Amazing! Exactly like from Monti's. Thank you SO much for sharing this recipe!
Chef #704580 - to answer your question, just put the ingredients in your machine in the order your machine suggests and then set your machine on the dough cycle. You'll have to remove the dough so you can then shape it correctly and bake in your oven.
I live in Arizona and have been to Monti's many times. The bread is the high point, in my opinion. I would like to know how I should make it in a bread maker. Just got one and would like try making this bread in there. Any help would be appreciated.