Recipe by Sir Chef Cory
From Monti's Restaurant in Tempe, Arizona. Here is the recipe you requested. This recipe has been in the Monti family for many years. In fact, Mr. Monti's parents brought it over from Italy with them, some eighty years ago. The Bread was brought to Monti's by Mrs. Shirley Monti, who learned the recipe from Leonard's sister Emilia.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (1 Package)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water (100 degrees)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- dried rosemary
- oil, as needed
- salt, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Add Sugar and yeast to lukewarm water and stir to dissolve yeast.
- Add flour, salt and onion.
- Knead until smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and let rise until double in size.
- Punch it down, flatten out dough on an oiled cookie sheet to about an inch thick.
- Sprinkle with salt and dried Rosemary.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.