Recipe by Member #610488
This Cal-Mex dish is from an old cookbook that my grandmother used during the 1960's.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and minced
- 2 cups tortilla chips, mashed into very small pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop or shred chicken breasts and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Add chiles, tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, and jalapeno. Mix and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a casserole dish, alternate layers of tortilla chips, chicken, tomato sauce mixture and cheese. Pour whipping cream over top. Refrigerate until time to cook.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until center bubbles.