Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
My mother would make this when it was my turn to bring in the snack at Hudson Montessori School. It always got rave reviews!
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, well-beaten
- 5 medium bananas or 6 small bananas, mashed
- 1 cup walnuts (optional) or 1 cup dates (optional)
- Mix shortening, sugar, & eggs in mixer.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add bananas & mix well.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 70 minutes.
I chose this banana bread because it makes two loaves and because I could use veggie shortening in it ( I have two dayhome kids with milk and soy allergies). The only changes I made was adding vanilla and a touch of almond flavoring...I add it to all my baking. I got up this morning after baking them yesterday...someone stole 1/2 a loaf!! It was my husband who took it to work with him...he says 5 stars its great, nice and moist. I had a piece for breakfast and agree completely. I didnt add nuts or chocolate chips..again due to allergies. But when I make it for just us I will add walnuts. Thanks JennieSmith for a easy great tasting recipe.