Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Tired of the same old tuna or turkey or PBJ sandwiches? Give this one a try the next time you have a hankering for something different. Easy to make and very tasty. Alter dressing to your liking. Bon appetit--
- 1 slice Italian bread or 1 slice sourdough bread
- 2 slices monterey jack cheese or 2 slices muenster cheese
- 3 slices ripe tomatoes
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup alfalfa sprout
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 mushroom, sliced
- 1 -2 slice peeled ripe avocado
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- Italian dressing or vinaigrette dressing, to your liking
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Toast bread on one side in toaster oven or oven. Remove.
- Top untoasted side of bread with cheese and bake 3-7 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Working quickly, top cheese with tomato slices, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange sprouts, onions, mushroom, avocado, and bacon on top.
- Serve with dressing. Makes one serving. Should be eaten with knife and fork.
This was a very good sandwich although I did make a few changes. My guys are not big on open-faced so I gave the sandwich a top. I put cheese on top and bottom slices of bread. I left off the sprouts and salad dressing as a personal pref. I loved the avocado in this sandwich. It was great with the bacon. The green onion is also a great addition. I really couldn't taste the mushrooms. Be careful not to toast the bread too much as they are best when not overly crispy. We all agreed that we would like to have them again. This was reviewed for Spring PAC '08.