Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Juicy chicken breasts are filled with yummy Monterey Jack cheese and coated in a zesty panko crumb mixture. This recipe makes six chicken breasts, but can easily be doubled if you want to prepare more for OAMC cooking. From the book Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer.
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, fresh
- 10 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese (monterey jack cheese with jalapenos, NOT shredded)
- 4 eggs, beaten or 3⁄4-1 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce or 1⁄4 cup salsa (not chunky) or 1⁄4 cup taco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or less)
- sliced avocado
- cherry tomatoes
- sour cream, and
- Cut Monterey Jack cheese into 6 equal pieces measuring about 1/4 x 4 inches.
- Cut a horizontal slit into side of each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through the meat.
- Place one pice of cheese inside each chicken breast, secure with 2 or 3 wooden toothpicks.
- In a shallow pan, mix together eggs, salsa and salt.
- In separate pan, combine panko breadcrumbs, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, and oregano.
- Dip each chicken breast into the egg mixture to coat, then into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place coated breasts in a shallow baking dish and freeze for 1 hour, then carefully wrap eac chicken breast in plastic wrap and place into freezer bag. Freeze until ready to use.
- Serving Day:.
- Unwrap chicken breasts.
- Place 1/4 c butter in a 9 x 13" baking dish and put into oven while it's preheating to 375 degrees.
- When butter is melted, remove pan from oven and plce chicken in dish, turning to coat with butter.
- Bake uncovered about 35-40 minutes, or just unitl done.
- Serve immediately with garnishes of avocado, tomatoes, sour cream or whatever you like!
I made this tonight for my fiance and I. It was AMAZING! I had to substitute sliced Monterey Jack Cheese because thats what I had on hand. I used 2 eggs instead of 4 & I used 1 cup of progresso italian style bread crumbs and left the spices as is. I would recommend this to anyone. This will be a staple meal for us!
Made this tonight and we loved it! Next time I'll make lots more and freeze for later.
I was about to post this, but I see you beat me to it! This is an absolutely DELICIOUS recipe which will remain in our OAMC rotation for sure! Our whole family loved it!!!