Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Served with your favorite mashed potatoes.... and this easy salsa topping, it tastes incredible..You will think you're in heaven!
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices bacon, cooked (not too crisp)
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 onion, diced small (white or red)
- 1 tomatoes, diced small
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- At least one hour or even a day ahead of time, make the Salsa Topping.
- Mix Salsa ingredients in a small bowl, chill.
- In a 13x9" baking dish, place the chicken, (not touching) and dot with Butter.
- Bake at 350° for 30-45 minutes, or until done.
- While chicken is cooking fry bacon and shred the cheeses.
- When chicken is fully cooked, remove from oven.
- Turn oven up to 425°F (*Unless you prefer the broiler).
- Spread the barbecue sauce on chicken, then the bacon and then add cheeses.
- Place the baking dish, back into the hot oven* or under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly, plate and top with the chilled Salsa Topping.
I'd never used Monteray Jack cheese before but found some at Costco and gave this a go, sort of a spin on Chicken Parmigiana, it was good but my BBQ sauce wasn't a very smoky one so that may have affected the end result of this, may try this again with a stronger tasting BBQ sauce for comparison.
This recipe is ridiculously good! I've made it several times with mashed potatoes. DH and I fight for the leftovers. The only change I make is to season the chicken. Great great great recipe. Thanks for sharing!
I love eating this out at restaurants and have been making it at home for a long time. But I've never tried this salsa before. The kids love monterey chicken but hate vegetables. I thought the salsa really added to an already favorite dish.