Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you love cheese you will love this.
Make and share this Monterey Jack Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled,seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (6 ounces)
- In a 3 quart saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth.
- Gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups milk; bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Slowly stir into vegetable mixture.
- Add cheese and remaining milk.
- Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
I thought this was good, but not 5 star worthy. I ended up decreasing the amount of milk because it was too thin, I increased the amount of cheese to 16oz. because of its thinness again, and I had to add alot of cayenne, some white pepper and additional salt in order to give it more flavor. Still not satisfied, I cooked up 4 slices of bacon and crumbled it in the soup. Better, but not perfect yet!
This is a great recipe tat my boyfriend LOVES!!!
A very good, easy-to-make soup. The garlic & chiles add a nice flavor. I used a small can of diced tomatoes, drained, but otherwise followed the recipe. I served with croissant sandwiches, and it made for a great cold-weather meal :) Thanks