Mushrooms and gooey cheese—so good
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat.
- 2Add in the onions; cook about 7 minutes until limp but not brown.
- 3Increase heat to med-high; add in the mushrooms and thyme; cook about 6 minutes, until most of the liquid has been released and cooked down and the mushrooms are brown around the edges.
- 4Add salt and pepper to taste; transfer mixture to a bowl.
- 5Wipe skillet clean using a paper towel but do not wash it.
- 6Quarter the baguette and cut each quarter in half lengthwise to make 8 pieces measuring about 5 inches.
- 7Pull out some of the center of each piece to make a trough.
- 8Brush the remaining 2 tablespoons oil onto the outside of each piece of bread; place the 4 bottom pieces on a work surface, oiled side down.
- 9Place mushroom mixture evenly over these pieces, followed by the cheese (you may need to press the cheese down a bit to make sure it fits).
- 10Place the 4 remaining bread pieces on top, oiled side up.
- 11Heat the skillet over med-high heat for 2 minutes; place the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches) and press them firmly with a spatula to flatten them slightly.
- 12Cover and cook 3 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown in places and the cheese has begun to melt.
- 13Uncover and turn sandwiches, pressing firmly to compress the bread; cook 2 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown in places (the shape of the baguette prevents it from browning uniformly).
- 14Turn the sandwiches one more time, pressing with the spatula and cook for ½ to 1 minute or until the cheese has melted completely; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monterey Jack and Mushroom Panino
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.8
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 1234.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 26.6 g