Recipe by gourmet_girl
This soup is the BEST clam chowder I have ever tasted! It is thick and very rich and fattening!
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, minced
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb clam, chopped (fresh, frozen, or canned)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place vegetables, bacon and margarine in a 5 quart sauce pot.
- Saute over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Be careful not to brown or scorch.
- When vegetables are tender, add flour to make a roux.
- Cook for two minutes, allowing flour to cook while stirring occasionally.
- Add clam juice and dairy products.
- Stir by using a wire whip.
- Add fresh garlic, black pepper, and chopped clams.
- Cook over low-medium heat stirring occasionally to prevent chowder from scorching.
- Cook for two hours or until chowder is brought to desired thickness. If a crockpot, or small steam kettle is available, it is recommended.
- Also, clam juice can be added to thin chowder down if it gets too thick.
- Cook for about 1 1/2 hours. The chowder needs to be stirred OFTEN, probably about every 5-10 minutes or so or it will stick to the bottom of the pot.