Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Butter...Garlic...Cheese? Chicken rolled in all? How can this recipe not be a keeper?!! My sister-in-law gave me this recipe some 25 years ago. It's just as good today as it was then - maybe even better since my garlic tastes have increased over the years as well as my "eye-balling" measurements (meaning more garlic!). Just be sure not to overcook as the chicken will be dry - follow these directions and the chicken will be moist. This is a great prepare ahead meal that will impress.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 dash garlic salt
Bread crumb combination
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (4 slices)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 dash garlic salt
- Pound chicken breasts flat.
- Slice Monterey Jack cheese about 1/4" thick, roll chicken around cheese.
- Dip chicken in butter sauce, then in breadcrumb combination.
- Place seam side down in 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees in preheated oven.
- Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more or until browned.
Even with having to change this to meet what I had in the house, I'm still giving it five stars because I can see how it would be great as written as well. Here's what I did differently: cheddar instead of Monterey Jack, butter instead of margarine, whole wheat cracker crumbs instead of bread crumbs. I also read suzy wonton's review where she added Canadian bacon, so I diced some bacon and put it on top of the cheese before rolling the chicken. With the low carbs and high protein, but such rich taste, this one is definitely a keeper for us!
I used store bought thin sliced chicken fillets pounded slightly. I was afraid the cooking time may be too long because I only had 6 fillets, but it turned out perfect and so moist! The only problem I had was a lot of the cheese oozed out. I think next time I will use provolone, it doesnâ€™t melt as quick. Yummy recipe!
So simple and so good! Moist and cheesy. I love this and make it all the time! Thanks for posting.