Recipe by ellie_
Simple-to-make chicken recipe was originally printed in a Church cookbook.
Top Review by ellie_
Thanks Normaone for reviewing Monterey Chicken and also for mentioning that I omited mushrooms in the Ingredients. The ingredients should include 8 large mushrooms, chopped. Another reviewer also mentioned that she added 1 green and 1 red pepper, chopped which added color to the recipe. Thanks again.
- 8 chicken breast halves, boned and skinned
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 8 large mushrooms, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place chicken breasts between waxed paper and pound until thin.
- Lightly dust with flour and salt and pepper.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in skillet.
- Saute chicken until brown.
- Remove and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter or margarine in same skillet.
- Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms until cooked.
- Stir in flour, celery salt, chicken broth and wine (if using).
- Cook over low heat until thickened (5 minutes).
- Stir in avocado and 1/2 cup cheese; blend to combine ingredients.
- Remove from heat.
- Arrange chicken in baking dish.
- Spoon avocado mixture over chicken and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked and cheese melts.