Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
Kind of an interesting twist on enchiladas. We call them Italian enchiladas!
Make and share this Monterey Cheese and Chicken Tortillas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup olive, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 8 corn tortillas or 8 flour tortillas
- Cube or grate the cheese.
- Saute onion and garlice in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and spices. Bring to boil and simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Blend liquid from mushrooms with flour. Stir into tomato mixture.
- Add mushrooms, olives and chicken. Cook stirring until thick.
- Divide chicken mixture between the 8 tortillas and sprinkle the 1 cup of cheese between them.
- Roll and place in dish seam side down and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place under broiler until cheese melts.
Very Good! I probably used more mushrooms than called for and used diced olives but otherwise followed the recipe exactly and we enjoyed them.
These are really tasty! I liked having something different than the same old enchiladas. I had a little more mushrooms and probably a little less chicken (4 oz can mushrooms and 6 oz pkg pre-cooked chicken). Used whole wheat flour tortillas and because they were larger than corn tortillas I only used six. Also, I didn't have any broiler-safe casseroles so stuck them in the oven for 15 minutes at 350F until heated through & melty. Thanks so much for the recipe!