Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is one of those recipes I turn to again and again when I don't feel like working too hard on dinner. I'm including the ingredients from the original recipe, though I always add corn, and never add the bacon or green pepper. It's great served over rice. From the More with Less Cookbook.
Top Review by Starrynews
Easy and delicious! I omitted the salt (personal preference) and also rinsed and drained the beans. To make up for the liquid, I added water. I also added a little dash of cumin and used the optional bacon and green pepper. I may omit the bacon in the future, because I couldn't really taste it and the rest could stand alone. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 slices bacon (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons diced onions
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (or 2 diced tomatoes)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder (I use at least a tablespoon for our family)
- 1 -2 cup corn kernel (I always use frozen)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- If using bacon, fry, drain and break into pieces.
- Saute onion and green pepper (if using) in bacon grease (or in a bit of vegetable oil if not using bacon).
- Add beans (and their liquid), tomato sauce, seasonings and corn.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring till mixture is blended and bubbling and liquid reduces some.
- Stir in cheese and stir till cheese is smooth and melted into the sauce.
- Cook, stirring till mixture attains desired thickness.
- Serve over cooked rice.