1/3 Photos of Monterey Beans and Cheese
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is one of those recipes I turn to again and again when I don't feel like working too hard on dinner. I'm including the ingredients from the original recipe, though I always add corn, and never add the bacon or green pepper. It's great served over rice. From the More with Less Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons diced onions
- 1/2 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 -2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (or 2 diced tomatoes)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder (I use at least a tablespoon for our family)
- 1 -2 cup corn kernel (I always use frozen)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1If using bacon, fry, drain and break into pieces.
- 2Saute onion and green pepper (if using) in bacon grease (or in a bit of vegetable oil if not using bacon).
- 3Add beans (and their liquid), tomato sauce, seasonings and corn.
- 4Cook over medium heat, stirring till mixture is blended and bubbling and liquid reduces some.
- 5Stir in cheese and stir till cheese is smooth and melted into the sauce.
- 6Cook, stirring till mixture attains desired thickness.
- 7Serve over cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monterey Beans and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.3
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 29.6 mg
- Sodium 1154.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 20.9 g