Prep 5 mins
Cook 16 mins
You don't need high-fat ingredients to make this Jamaican-style grilled chicken taste good. The marinade both flavors and tenderizes the meat. From the April/May 2003 Taste of Home Light & Tasty magazine. Time does not include marinade time.
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade. Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill chicken, uncovered, over indirect medium heat for 6-9 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
Beautiful! I marinated for around 4 hours and the wonderful flavours from the marinade came through really well. It also gave the chicken a nice colour without having to cook it on too high heat, keeping it nice and tender inside.
Wonderful!!! I had planned on lighting the grill today after church since our b-b-q season is drawing to an end. However, after combining all the marinade ingredients, I grabbed my chicken from the fridge and started to add started to add it to the bowl I realized I bought 2 packages of chicken breast for stir-fry. My chicken was cut up into little pieces which meant I could not use the grill. So I cooked the chicken in my large skillet added a little bit of the marinade to the pan. The marinade caramelized on the chicken and gave it such a wonderful flavor! I did make two small changes to the marinade...used raw honey in place of the brown sugar, and I added a pinch more fresh ginger (I keep it in the freezer all the time and I use a potato peeler to shave off thin strips). My husband rarely comments on any of my swap recipes however; he gave this one high marks asking that I make it again. Next time I WILL fix it on the grill though! Made and reviewed for the 56th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
Delicious grilled chicken recipe! The only change I made was to use actual rum instead of extract, and probably a bit more than a teaspoon. I marinated for 4 hours and the result was delicious tender chicken. Thanks for sharing the recipe!