Recipe by Starfire (aka Wendy)
This is a wonderful breakfast to wake up to. Made the night before. It is best if made 10 -12 hours before cooking. If it sits longer it can dry out.
- 1 loaf sandwich bread, 20 slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ham, sliced Virginia ham
- 25 slices swiss cheese, deli sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large Casserole baking dish, layer bottom with bread, one piece at a time to fill bottom of pan.
- Then add one layer of ham, when layer is complete add one slice of cheese until layer is complete. Repeat layers until casserole is up to casserole height (try to make sure last layer is with cheese.).
- Mix together: milk, Dijon, eggs, salt and pepper. Once mixed well, add to top of Strata making sure it is covered evenly. If there is excess on top, let drain into middle and side. (You can help this process.) The top will look soggy and the mixture will soak into the bread.
- The next morning, cook at 350°F for 20 minutes covered, then 25 minutes uncovered.
- Serve with strawberry jam.