Recipe by LAURIE
A meal in a "french toast" sandwich...Not grilled in butter like the traditional Monte Cristo, so its lower in fat and calories. Great for a different breakfast sandwich!
Top Review by BeachGirl
These were very good but lacked the Cristo's usual sweet touch from seedless raspberry jam, although there was a little sweet from the powdered sugar. I used 12 slices swiss cheese as we do not care for processed cheese, and otherwise followed the recipe. I liked the egg coating and being able to toast them in the oven. I will make these again using the raspberry jam. Thanks for a nice oven recipe.
- melted margarine
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 12 slices firm textured bread
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 6 slices thin sliced ham
- 6 slices American cheese
- 6 slices thin sliced turkey breast
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Grease a jelly roll pan 15x10 with the melted margarine.
- In shallow bowl combine eggs and milk.
- For each sandwich, layer the following, slice bread, slice swiss cheese, slice ham, slice turkey, slice american cheese, top with slice bread.
- Dip each sandwich in egg milk mixture, coating both slices of bread, making sure the bread is fairly well soaked.
- Place sandwiches on prepared pan.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, turning 1/2 way thru.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.