Very tasty, but when heating the oil, make sure you have a door or window open. And you can also substitute the heavy cream with half-and-half in a pinch, that's what I used and it came out great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam or 6 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 12 slices white bread, toasted
- 18 slices swiss cheese or 18 slices gruyere
- 12 slices ham
- 12 slices turkey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- powdered sugar, for topping
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Whisk eggs, cream, sugar, salt, dry mustard and cayenne in shallow dish until combined,.
- 3Stir jam and Dijon mustard in small bowl.
- 4Spread 1 tsp of jam mixture on one side of each piece of toast.
- 5Layer slices of cheese, ham and turkey on 6 slices of toast. repeat with second layer of cheese, ham and turkey, top with other piece of toast (jam side down!), lightly press down sandwiches.
- 6Pour oil into rimmed pan and heat until just smoking, about 7 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, coat each sandwich (both sides) with egg mixture and transfer to large plate.
- 8When oil is ready transfer sandwiches to oil and bake for about 4-5 minutes per side, Pat excess oil off and serve immediately with remaining jam mix and powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monte Cristo Sandwiches.
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 680.6
- Calories from Fat 351
- Total Fat 39.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 231.8 mg
- Sodium 810.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 31.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: