The larger the toothpicks the better for this! I use seasoned salt when I made this but white salt is fine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat about 5 inches oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees.
- 2While the oil is heating prepare the batter; in a medium bowl whisk together the egg and water.
- 3Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; whisk into the egg mixture until smooth; set aside and chill.
- 4To assemble the sandwiches; place one slice of turkey one one slice of bread, then a slice of ham on an other slice of bread, then "sandwich" them with a slice of Swiss cheese in the middle.
- 5Cut the sandwich into quarters then secure with toothpicks.
- 6Dip each sandwich quarter into the batter so that all the sides are coated.
- 7Deep-fry in hot oil until golden brown on all sides.
- 8Remove the toothpicks and arrange on a serving tray.
- 9Dust with confectioners sugar just before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monte Cristo Sandwich (The Real One!)
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.3
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 39.3 mg
- Sodium 431.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: