Recipe by Mims & Squims
Great change from your typical sandwich! For best results, use thin-sliced cheeses & meats from your deli.
- vegetable shortening (8-12 cups for fryer)
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 3 ounces sliced cooked turkey
- 1 slice American cheese
- 3 ounces sliced ham
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 cup ice water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat shortening in deep fryer to 375F (If you cdon't have a deepfryer, use a large skillet at least 5" deep.
- Layer ingredients, bottom to top, as follows: bread, Swiss, turkey, bread, American, ham, & bread. Meat should not overhang bread. Flatten slightly.
- In bowl, beat egg whites. Stir in ice water.
- Sift flour and baking soda into egg mixture. Stir until barely mixed & lumpy.
- Slice sandwich in half diagonally.
- Dip one of the halves in batter. Coat well and let excess batter drain off.
- Drop into oil and fry 6-8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Repeat for other half.
- Drain on paper towels & allow to cool. Cut each half in half & dust with powdered sugar.