Mims & Squims's Note:
Great change from your typical sandwich! For best results, use thin-sliced cheeses & meats from your deli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable shortening (8-12 cups for fryer)
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- 3 ounces sliced cooked turkey
- 1 slice American cheese
- 3 ounces sliced ham
- 1Heat shortening in deep fryer to 375F (If you cdon't have a deepfryer, use a large skillet at least 5" deep.
- 2Layer ingredients, bottom to top, as follows: bread, Swiss, turkey, bread, American, ham, & bread. Meat should not overhang bread. Flatten slightly.
- 3In bowl, beat egg whites. Stir in ice water.
- 4Sift flour and baking soda into egg mixture. Stir until barely mixed & lumpy.
- 5Slice sandwich in half diagonally.
- 6Dip one of the halves in batter. Coat well and let excess batter drain off.
- 7Drop into oil and fry 6-8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Repeat for other half.
- 8Drain on paper towels & allow to cool. Cut each half in half & dust with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Monte Cristo Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (706 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1066.4
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 143.7 mg
- Sodium 3572.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 85.9 g