Recipe by mailbelle
I love the classic Monte Cristo that Bennigan's serves with red raspberry preserves for dipping; but sadly, our Bennigan's recently closed. This is a variation from the 2002 Pillsbury Bake-Off using Grands buttermilk biscuits and baked instead of fried.
Top Review by Jaylee
These are great and every bit as tasty as the 'real thing!' I too was missing Bennigan's...decided to make these on a whim. Used deli meats and a chunk of Swiss all whizzed in the food processor. Even used store brand flaky biscuits and they turned out a treat. (And look pretty, too.) Thumbs up!
- 1⁄4 lb chopped cooked ham
- 1⁄4 lb chopped cooked turkey
- 1 cup sliced swiss cheese, chopped
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) can Pillsbury Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F In medium bowl, mix ham, turkey and cheese.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press or roll each to form 6 to 7-inch round. Place slightly less than 1/3 cup ham mixture on one side of each biscuit round. Fold dough over filling; press edges to seal. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- In small bowl, beat egg, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Brush over tops of filled biscuits.
- Bake 12 to 19 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with jam.