Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Posted for Zaar World Tour - USA - regional South (North Carolina). Recipe source: local newspaper - recipe was from North Carolina and won grand prize in the 2006 Cornbread Festival Cook-off sponsored by Martha White (cornbread mixes)
- 1 (7 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups turkey, cooked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ham, cooked and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup currant jelly
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions, excep bake in a 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet (Cornbread will be thin). Remove from skillet; cool and cut into cubes. Wipe out skillet with paper towels and grease well.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Place cornbread cubes in skillet, topping with turkey, ham and shredded cheese.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and mayonnaise, 1 tablespon mustard, salt and pepper until blended. Pour over meat and cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until set and light brown.
- In a saucepan warm jelly to melt and add 1 tablepoon mustard, whisking to blend.
- Remove skillet from oven.
- Cut into wedges, sprinkling with confectioners sugar and serve with current jelly/mustard sauce.
Yummy. The whole family liked this one. Will definitely make again. It does have the flavors of a Monte Cristo Sandwich. The only change I made was to use strawberry fruit spread instead of currant jelly.