Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
One of my sons could not get past the Monte Cristo sandwich at the Blue Bayou Restaurant in Disneyland. I made this casserole for him and he loved it. I hope you do to.
- 236.59 ml nonfat milk
- 6 eggs or 354.88 ml egg substitute
- 2 (708.73 g) package frozen French toast, slices,thawed
- 226.79 g deli ham, diced
- 226.79 g deli turkey, diced
- 113.39 g swiss cheese, grated
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, snipped
- 14.79 ml powdered sugar
- 473.18 ml fresh strawberries, sliced
- 118.29 ml strawberry ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 375^F.
- Pour milk in a microwaveable container and heat until hot.
- Whisk eggs in small bowl and add hot milk to eggs, blend.
- Cut French toast into 3/4 inch cubes; place in a large bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes, toss gently, set aside.
- Combine ham, turkey, cheese and parsley in a bowl.
- Spray a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Layer half the french toast cubes with half the meat mixture in bottom of pan.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes (It can be held overnight.) Set at room temperature for a few minutes before baking-or bake a little longer if it's cold.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown and set in center.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Slice strawberries.
- Combine strawberries with strawberry ice cream topping in a small bowl.
- Cut casserole into squares.
- Serve topped with strawberry mixture.
Oh my gosh, what a great casserole. My husband and I are both Disney fanatics and love the Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou. This is the closest I have ever found to the real thing! Thanks for sharing this recipe. This will definitely be used in our house!
Everyone loved this casserole! I think when I make it again I will try making a sauce with red raspberries though...for some reason I associate that more with Monte Cristos than strawberries. I left out the parsley. Thanks for the recipe!
Exceptional! Everyone in the house was taken by surprise by this divine sweet-and-savory combination. I didn't even have swiss on hand, but cheddar was a delight. I also combined all of the ingredients in one bowl, as layering was unnecessary. Finally, I dusted each serving with powdered sugar, skipping the topping in favor of strawberry jam (squeezable). The entire dish is already gone! Try this one, it's a winner.