One of my sons could not get past the Monte Cristo sandwich at the Blue Bayou Restaurant in Disneyland. I made this casserole for him and he loved it. I hope you do to.
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 6 eggs or 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute
- 2 (12 1/2 ounce) packages frozen French toast, slices,thawed
- 8 ounces deli ham, diced
- 8 ounces deli turkey, diced
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, snipped
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 375^F.
- Pour milk in a microwaveable container and heat until hot.
- Whisk eggs in small bowl and add hot milk to eggs, blend.
- Cut French toast into 3/4 inch cubes; place in a large bowl.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes, toss gently, set aside.
- Combine ham, turkey, cheese and parsley in a bowl.
- Spray a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Layer half the french toast cubes with half the meat mixture in bottom of pan.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes (It can be held overnight.) Set at room temperature for a few minutes before baking-or bake a little longer if it's cold.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown and set in center.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Slice strawberries.
- Combine strawberries with strawberry ice cream topping in a small bowl.
- Cut casserole into squares.
- Serve topped with strawberry mixture.
Everyone loved this casserole! I think when I make it again I will try making a sauce with red raspberries though...for some reason I associate that more with Monte Cristos than strawberries. I left out the parsley. Thanks for the recipe!
Great stuff! My kids all loved it (11, 10, 6 & 3 yrs.), as did my husband. Quick & easy, results were delicious! Thanks for posting!
Oh my gosh, what a great casserole. My husband and I are both Disney fanatics and love the Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou. This is the closest I have ever found to the real thing! Thanks for sharing this recipe. This will definitely be used in our house!