Recipe by mollypaul
The layers are easily frozen, thawing prior to frosting with Seafoam Frosting #143253 that makes a wonderful do-ahead dessert.
- fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 2⁄3 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter (not tub or spread product) or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened (not tub or spread product)
- 2 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (icy cold)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease three 8" layer cake pans; dust lightly with bread crumbs.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cream butter and sugar; add vanilla.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
- Beat in chocolate.
- Add water alternatively with dry ingredients.
- Divide batter into cake pans, spread to level, then push batter up the sides a little bit leaving a slight concavity in the center.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake just begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then invert and cool completely on cooling racks.
- If necessary for even frosting, cut the tops level.
- Frost layers, staking them, and sides with your favorite frosting (I like coffee flavored Seafoam Frosting).
- With your spatula, quickly pull frosting up in peaks all over the cake.