Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This recipe takes us back home to Barcelona, Spain. On a recent visit we went to a tapas restaurant and this is our creation mixing two famous catalan tapas. Tortilla de patatas (potato and onion omelette) and Escalivada (roasted peppers and eggplant) and in a bed of pan con tomate (crunchy bread with fresh grated tomato, salt and extra virgin olive oil).
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut in 8 thick strips
- 1 tomatoes, grated
- 2 small ciabatta rolls
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese
- In a large skillet, sauté potatoes and green onions in 3 ½ tablespoons of olive oil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Cook until potatoes are tender and just start to brown , about 15-20 minutes. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with a pinch of salt. Add potatoes and mix well.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Pour the egg / potato mixture and cook on one side, at medium-low heat, until the bottom starts to brown.
- Place a large plate or a lid on the skillet. Remove from heat and flip the skillet quickly, to turn the omelet around. Slowly slide the uncooked side onto the skillet and return to heat. (Note: Be very careful not to burn yourself while doing this. We recommend using oven mitts or a towel. However, if you do not feel comfortable flipping the omelet this way, place the skillet in the oven and bake at 350F until set. Make sure you use an oven proof skillet!).
- Cook until set, pricking the top of the omelet with a fork, to allow it to cook evenly and a little bit faster. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- In the mean time, slice the ciabatta rolls in half and toast lightly.
- Grate the tomato in a bowl discarding the skin.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil on the each half of the ciabatta rolls and spread the grated tomato on top, and season with salt to taste.
- Cut the potato omelette into 4 squares to fit on top of the roll. Place a square of potato omelet on each half, top with 2 strips of roasted red pepper and 1 tablespoon of goat cheese.
- Place in the broiler for approximately 4-5 minutes or until the cheese melts slightly and has a golden brown color.
I made a combination of goat cheese and feta cheese for the topping. It was delicious