Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mashed potatoes have as many guises as there are cooks. We had this one with grilled fish and coleslaw. Salivate away!
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 large green onion, or
- 1 bunch spring onion
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared English mustard
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Chop onions (including green )tops very finely.
- Add vinegar to chopped onion and marinate 30 minutes.
- Combine buttermilk and mustard, heat and mix well.
- Add chopped onion to mustard mixture and allow to steep while boiling potatoes.
- Boil potatoes in salt water as usual for mash.
- Mash potatoes, and mix in mustard-onion mixture.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.
What a find - mashed potatoes so good no one misses the gravy! Made as posted. I was a little hesitant when it came to the 2 tablespoons of white vinegar but followed through, used the English mustard and spring onions - it all came together resulting in a potato dish looking as good as it tasted! Thank you GT, definitely a repeatable.