Recipe by GT in SA
Mashed potatoes have as many guises as there are cooks. We had this one with grilled fish and coleslaw. Salivate away!
Top Review by Gerry
What a find - mashed potatoes so good no one misses the gravy! Made as posted. I was a little hesitant when it came to the 2 tablespoons of white vinegar but followed through, used the English mustard and spring onions - it all came together resulting in a potato dish looking as good as it tasted! Thank you GT, definitely a repeatable.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 large green onion, or
- 1 bunch spring onion
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared English mustard
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onions (including green )tops very finely.
- Add vinegar to chopped onion and marinate 30 minutes.
- Combine buttermilk and mustard, heat and mix well.
- Add chopped onion to mustard mixture and allow to steep while boiling potatoes.
- Boil potatoes in salt water as usual for mash.
- Mash potatoes, and mix in mustard-onion mixture.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.