Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my spin on Monster Oatmeal Cookies. I reduced the sugar quite a bit and played around with some of the other ingredients. The end result was a crunchy, sweet, yummy and sturdy cookie that I enjoyed a lot! I hope you will, too!
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 100 g butter, softened
- 1⁄8 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup turbinado sugar (can use regular, too)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla bean seeds (or use 1/2 ts extract)
- 5⁄8 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup M&M's or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup roiboos tea (might need a tad more)
- First combine flax seed meal and water in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds on high and allow too cool for a few minutes while you cream the butter.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugars for 8 minutes (do not skip this, it gives the cookies texture).
- Add the vanilla and the flax egg. Stir to combine.
- In a second bowl combine flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda and apple pie spice.
- Add to the butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in m&ms or choc chips, raisins, oats and coconut.
- If your dough is dry, add enough of the roiboos tea to make a thick cookie dough. It should not be sticking to your hands much.
- Using a large ice-cream scoop place heaps of dough onto a paper-lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake at 180°C/350 °F for 12-15 minutes or lightly browned around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.